Frequently Asked Questions

What is Phi Kappa Phi?

Founded in 1897, the Honor Society of Phi Kappa Phi recognizes and promotes academic excellence in all fields of higher education and engages the community of scholars in service to others. Named for the letters of the Greek words that form its motto, Philosophía Krateítõ Phõtôn (“Let the love of learning rule humanity”), Phi Kappa Phi has grown to include 325 chapters in the United States, its territories, and the Philippines. Together, these chapters induct about 25,000 members each year and, since its inception, more than 1.5 million scholars have joined this prestigious organization. Both the national organization and the local chapters offer competitive awards and grants to its student members.

How does one become a member of Phi Kappa Phi?

One cannot simply join Phi Kappa Phi. Election to membership is by invitation only. The local chapter screens juniors, seniors, and graduate students for membership based upon rank in class. Those who meet the scholastic requirements dictated by the national organization are invited to join.

Is there a service commitment if one accepts an invitation to join Phi Kappa Phi?

No. Phi Kappa Phi is strictly an honor society, the mission of which is to promote and recognize academic excellence. There is no service commitment associated with membership.

If one accepts an invitation to join, and his or her grade point average and class rank subsequently decline, is membership status withdrawn?

No. Once elected to membership, a person is a member for life. The criteria for membership apply to the time when the invitation is extended. Of course to remain an active member, one must stay current with annual dues payments.

How can I apply for Phi Kappa Phi scholarships and awards?

Please see the sections dealing with awards both at this web site and the national organization’s web site.

How do I submit a change of address or name change?

To change your address, please use the on-line change of address form. To change your name, please use the on-line name change form. These forms are available at the national organization’s web site.

I have not found the answer to my question. Whom should I contact?

Please call or send an e-mail to your chapter’s president or, if you prefer, to any other chapter officer with whom you may be familiar.